Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ready or not, here I come!

What happened to August and September?  It seems like I blinked and all of a sudden it is October.

When I signed up for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk last March, I thought I would have all the time in the world to prepare.  I thought I would gradually build up not only my walking endurance, but more importantly, my exercise discipline and habit, so that by the time October rolled around I would be well prepared physically and mentally for this event.  I thought that I'd end the event with a new habit of walking on a day to day basis incorporated into my lifestyle, so that I could enjoy a new healthier me.  In fact, this was the primary motivator for joining the walk in the first place - to get into a new habit for the long term.

In reality, as you've perhaps noticed here on my blog, I never really got into the groove of a new habit.   I did get a lot of good training walking in, and I found myself out on a walk way more often than I would have if I had not signed up for the event.  But a regular habit? Not!  Through the early half of the summer, I fit in training as best I could.  But then late summer hit, and with it all the stuff that happens to our family calendar.  School started, I traveled for work, then the fall football season started at our two kid's schools.  My chorus, the Harbor City Music Company, had a busy schedule with our annual show, and my quartet, Lustre, had a busy schedule with coaching and new music.  My work pace picked up.  Etc. etc. etc.  Blah, blah, blah.

Through all of this busy-ness in August and September, I was totally unprepared for the impact this would have on my training. Because I did not have a good habit of fitting training walks into my daily life, my training really suffered.  As my weekends and evenings filled up with other activities, I did not have a plan for setting aside time for walking.    The result?   I've trained for a grand total of 3 miles since September 1st.

This is not good.  This is very not good.

The Washington D.C. Susan G. Koman 3-Day for the Cure begins this Friday.  Like, five days from now. I am so unprepared.

I am anxious about how I'll do, how far will I be able to go.  I am angry with myself for not keeping my promise to myself about the training.  I am disappointed in myself - and oh how I hate that feeling!  That old familiar feeling.   Do you know the one I'm talking about?

I'm counting on the hope that during the event later this week, I'll kick that feeling in the butt, and replace it with feelings of accomplishment and pride.  That I'll push myself past the aches and pains and give it everything I've got.

I honestly don't know if I'll be able to walk all 60 miles.  I had hoped that I would, but the reality of my lack of training might get in the way of that goal.  I know that I will do my very best, and more.  I owe it to my sponsors and donators, I owe it to the cancer patients, survivors and victims - but most of all I owe it to myself - to give wholly and completely.

So, ready or not, here comes the 3-Day.  And 3-Day:  Ready or not, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I'm feeling EXACTLY like you...it's like I was reading a blog post I could have written myself! 5 more days, really 4 for me as I've got to fly into BWI on Thursday and stay overnight with my best friend who is walking with me. I'm hoping pure adrenaline will push me through this event and all the Spring Training I did will wend its way back into my muscles...I will be bringing a giant bottle of advil. I have been reading tons of blogs and 3-day "underground" manuals tonight, just trying to soak it all in...and that's what it's all come down to...ready or not, here I come!

    ReplyDelete